As George learned, the biblical flood story wasn't the only one. And the Christian images of Noah and his ark weren't the only pictures:
But in putting together my own flood tablet, I stuck with European Medieval images like these:
This last one was best suited to the tablet I wanted to make. Combining it with the image of the clay tablet required only minor changes:
Just a note here: this piece was actually the first one I designed and printed. But after it was dyed, I started sewing the Scribe Tablet and the Stained Glass Tablet. All of them have a lot of lettering. As the series continued, I decided I really didn't need quite so many words. The Beasiary and Tibuktu Tablets have smaller explanatory wording, but the tablets still further along (waiting for me to even start sewing) have a minimum of words.
After dyeing, I started sewing, but changed my mind and decided to applique some leather and wool for the animals:
This one is close to finished. I keep telling myself that, and then finding more to do. Here's the pinned-down-and-almost-ready-to-mount version:
And here's the finished, mounted version of my Flood Tablet:
Up in the left hand corner, under the word "of" is George, pointing out the cuneiform.
While I still have more tablets, none are finished enough to share yet. So starting Friday, we'll be starting a bit of a detour, back to boro and the art of mending.